Many states have urged people to work from home for the last few months due to the Coronavirus pandemic. If you’ve been working from home, you might have noticed that your pets are loving the extra time with you! How do you think your pet will react when you go back to work?
The Parker, CO area has begun to lift quarantine restrictions, meaning our pets may be left home alone more than they’re used to. After having spent two to four months with you at home all day, pets could experience some separation anxiety when you leave to go back to work. Several steps you can take now to ease the transition include:
- Start the process now to get your pets prepared. Leave them alone for 30 minutes or an hour at a time at first, and then increase the amount of time as they get more comfortable.
- Keep a set schedule. Try getting up at the same time each day, and stick to a set time for feeding, exercising, and nap time.
- Practice leaving the house. When you leave, don’t say goodbye and when you get home, just ignore them at first. This can help decrease their anxiety. If activities like putting on your shoes or picking up your keys makes them upset, try doing those things without leaving the house a few times.
- Provide distractions to keep them happy when home alone. Chew toys and food puzzles can help keep them distracted and content when you first leave. Experiment with music, audiobooks, or white noise. The sounds may keep them company and drown out outside noises that could be upsetting.
- Ask for help. If the transition is especially hard on your pet, consider our dog daycare services here at Heritage Pet. Even for a few days a week, attention from our caring staff and furry friends can help your pet relax and get used to the new (old) routine of not working from home.
By taking steps now to make the transition smoother, you can help reduce separation anxiety in your pets when you have to go back to the office every day. To learn more about our dog daycare and how we can help manage separation anxiety in pets, be sure to give us a call!